Growth Lead JD
Who we are
InfiniteUp is a mobile application for MSMEs across Sub-Saharan Africa and enables small business owners to digitally record their credit and payment transactions with customers who “buy now, pay later.”
By entering customer debts into the InfiniteUp mobile application, it makes it easier for merchants to keep track of which customers owe them money, while features such as payment due date notifications and the ability to send payment reminders via WhatsApp and SMS makes the process of collecting debts easier and faster.
Over the past several months, we have been building, measuring and learning. We have tested the app in several different markets, while we recently launched a more polished MVP and now have our first happy users . Now, we are looking to scale and launch the app in our first major cities across sub-Saharan Africa.
We’re still very early stage, so we’re looking for people who are comfortable with ambiguity and having wide impact. We care a tonne about communication, curiosity, autonomy, continuous improvement and initiative.
Our team has years of experience in both startups and business in general in Africa. We also enjoy learning from others, and so we’re looking for people who can bring a new set of experience from a range of different backgrounds.
First and foremost, we’re looking for people who are excited about what we’re doing – you don’t need to have worked in a technology startup before, but you should be excited to learn. More than a specific set of skills, we’re looking for someone who (1) has the drive / talent / work ethic to drive their own work and (2) can find simple solutions to big problems.
We’re defining a new chapter for technology in sub-Saharan Africa, so you’ll be able to use your creativity to help us solve problems, grow our user base and delight our customers.
We need someone who is primarily a hustler, who doesn’t mind getting their hands dirty, with a basic understanding of technology and mobile applications.
We’ve listed a few things you’ll be responsible for below:
- Launching InfiniteUp in your city
- Driving user growth in your city (our target is 5-7% week on week growth in weekly active users)
- Making recommendations for marketing and advertising campaigns in your city
- Determining the cost of customer acquisition in your city
- Understanding our users on a deep level – this will involve visiting and talking to store owners in person
- Helping us figure out the right strategy for launching InfiniteUp in other cities across sub-Saharan Africa
Why you might be excited about us
- We’re working on a massive opportunity. There are 45 million small business owners in sub-Saharan Africa and the majority still use pen and paper for their business transactions.
- We’re working to solve a massive problem. Most people in sub-Saharan Africa live in poverty, and most small business owners lose money from customers who don’t pay them back on time. Before shops in Africa can start making money, they need to stop losing money. If you’re want to make a positive impact, you’ll love helping us build our product.
- We’re small, so you’ll be able to contribute efficiently and have tonnes of responsibility and autonomy.
- We don’t have many meetings, but when we do, you’ll always have the opportunity to contribute.
- Our team has a wide range of experiences and are excited to learn from you, too.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and set your own schedule. We don’t micro-manage and will help you do great work.
- We’ll mould your role to shape a career you’re excited about. We care about your satisfaction and job happiness, and will help prepare you for whatever you’re looking for in the future.
Why you might not be excited about us
- We’re small, so if you like more established companies, it’s not (yet) the right time.
- Since we’re an early stage startup, projects and priorities may shift.
- We can’t provide close mentorship, as we’re looking for someone who is already a leader.
- Since you’ll have a lot of responsibility, they may not be defined perfectly initially. You’ll be expected to bring your own experience and perspective to help us do the right things, and tell us if you think we should do things differently.
None of these are requirements, but they do describe the kind of person who we think would be most effective at InfiniteUp right now.
- Never-say-die attitude.
- Love thinking broadly and creatively about problems and how to solve them efficiently.
- Effective communicator.
- Enjoy asking for help and learning from the people around you.
- Desire for continuous self-improvement and growth.
- Not afraid of taking risks.
- Not afraid of rejection or failure.
- Good energy.
- Worked remotely before, or know that you’d work well with a remote team.
- Excited for a front-row seat at an early stage startup that has the potential to transform the informal sector in sub-Saharan Africa.
The successful candidate will receive a base salary along with uncapped commission earnings based on the number of new weekly active users in their city.
Joining our team
1. Meet us and learn about InfiniteUp
You’ll first talk to Harry on a 20-30 minute phone call; you won’t need to prepare anything in advance. The goal of this conversation is to get to know you and mutually explore if we might be a good fit for each other. You’ll learn more about InfiniteUp and have a chance to ask any questions about our company, team culture, and product.
2. Technical conversation
If we’re both excited to continue, you’ll have a 45 minute video call, this time with both Harry and Barrett, to talk in depth about your work experience and how you approach solving problems.
3. Technical challenge
If we think you’d be a good fit, the final stage of the interview process will be three take-home assignments:
- On-board 10 new, real users onto the InfiniteUp platform
- Design a plan for acquiring 100,000 users in your city
- Short 5 minute presentation so we can understand how you digest and communicate information (further instructions will be sent beforehand)
Interested candidates should apply to email@example.com.